Sunday 8 January 2012

The Lost Daughter - Diane Chamberlain

Last night I finished The Lost Daughter by Diane Chamberlain which I found to be an excellent read. The main character, CeeCee, is very likeable despite making a very bad choice in her life to raise a baby that wasn't hers.

The book keeps a good pace and even though you know from the start roughly what the story is, it is still an unputdownable book. All the characters are well crafted and you can understand why some of them have certain personality characteristics. The book touches on capital punishment and makes you wonder acutally how guilty are the people sitting on death row. What is their story?

The mother of the main character died when she was 12 but left a legacy of letters for CeeCee to read at different stages of her life. These letters are woven into the book and I think it helps you to gain an understanding of CeeCee and why she chose the paths that she did. It does leave you wondering what choices you would've made if you found yourself in her postition.

The next book in my list is Deaf Sentence by David Lodge which I did start last night. I find that I have to have read at least on chapter of a new book before I go to sleep. Otherwise I just don't feel right!

No comments:

Post a Comment